Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Elections and Politics, Part 3

aka; WTF just happened?

Right so last I updated on this we had a hung parliament and Gordon Brown (labor party) was still the Prime Minister. This essentially meant we still had a leader, but no government. Today however, Gordon Brown resigned (leaving us without a leader OR a government (technically giving the power to the Queen), and about fifteen minutes later (ok I exaggerate, still under 2 hours later...)  it was announced that David Cameron (conservative) had accepted the position as PM from the Queen with the intent to from a 'full and proper' coalition with the liberal democrats. Ummmmm, wait.... what?! Suddenly US government and politics doesn't seem so far out there. To change PMs at the drop of a hat, or to have a system that even allows for such things as a hung parliament, I guess I just don't understand. (Not that I ever did to begin with, but really.) Apparently Nick Clegg (lib dem) will now sit as the deputy PM as "Mr Cameron said he and the Lib Dem leader were both prepared to put aside their party differences and "work hard for the common good and for the national interest". "I believe that is the best way to get the strong Government that we need, the decisive Government that we need today," he said." I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment